Assistance for Single Mothers in Maryland

Raising children can feel like an uphill battle and it can feel even worse when you are doing it on your own. If you are a single mother and you are struggling to make ends meet or provide for your children in the way you want, then you some of these programs are here to help. They will give you the assistance you need now so that you can work toward a better future.

MCHP (Maryland Children’s Health Program)

It is no secret that healthcare for you and your children can be very expensive. But the Maryland Children’s Health Program offers a way to get your children full health care coverage if they do not qualify for Medicaid.


In order for your children to be eligible they must be under the age of 19 and your income must be less than 200% of the federal poverty level. Pregnant women whose income is below 250% of the federal poverty level are also allowed to apply for the program. In most cases you must be uninsured in order to qualify but you can talk with your case manager to see if you can still benefit from the program. To learn more about eligibility and how to apply visit


The Maryland Children’s Health Program offers full health coverage, including hospitalizations, regular doctor’s visits, mental health care, dental health, vision, substance abuse and prescriptions. This is an invaluable program to be a part of as it ensures that your children will have access to high quality healthcare.

Child Care Subsidy

If you are struggling to go to work and go to school because you cannot find quality affordable child care, then you may be able to benefit from the child care subsidy program. The problem that many struggling mothers run into, is that going to work or school means that the majority of their money goes into paying for daycare. The Child Care Subsidy provides vouchers that reduce the financial burden of quality child care.


In order to be eligible for the child care subsidy you must be at or below a certain income level. For example a family of two must make less than $24, 277 a year in order to qualify. However, for teen parents or non-parent custodians, $5,000 is disregarded from your yearly income. This allow those with the greatest need reap the benefits of this program and move toward a better future. To see if you are eligible and to apply for the program visit


This program allows you to choose your child care provider, whether you choose to have informal care, which is care provided by a relative or non-relative in the child’s home or the provider’s home, or formal care which is care provided by a child care center or a registered child care home. The program will give you a certain amount of money each month as is determined by your income and family size.

SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)

One of the major financial expenses that a family may encounter is the cost of food and SNAP hopes to ease this burden. The program offers a specific amount of money each month to be used toward certain food purchases in order to reduce the costs of feeding a family.


In order to be eligible for SNAP your family must meet certain income requirements that are based upon your monthly income and the number of people in your household. Your household income must meet or fall below 200% of the federal poverty line in order to qualify for the program. To apply for the program visit


The SNAP program provides you with an Electronic Benefit transfer card which provides you with a certain amount of money on the first of each month. This card can then be used at nearly any grocery store on most food purchases. The amount of money that you receive is based upon your income and the number of people in your family.

TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)

The TANF program is a great way for a single mother to move toward a better future for her children by giving temporary assistance to get through a rough period. The program only disperses funds once per adult, so it is best that you only apply for this program when you have little other recourse.


Like most assistance programs, eligibility for TANF is based on your monthly income and the number of people in your household. You must have never taken advantage of TANF help before or used the service for less than 60 months. To see if you are eligible and to apply visit


The TANF program provides you with a specified amount of money each month that is delivered to an electronic benefit transfer card. The amount that you receive is based upon your income and family size, for example a family of four can receive a maximum amount of $482 a month. This benefit is dispersed only once for every adult and only for 60 months, after which it can never be used again.

WIC (Women, Infants and Children)

The WIC program in Maryland is geared toward making sure that women and children receive the best nutrition available. The program is for pregnant women, nursing mothers, women who have given birth within the past six months and children under the age of five.


There is a low income requirement in order to take advantage of these services and you must have children that are under the age of five or be pregnant or nursing. To see if you are eligible and for more information visit


The WIC program provides monthly checks that can be used to buy food that meets certain nutrition requirements. They also provide immunizations and breastfeeding support to ensure the best health of children and babies.

These programs are just the beginning of what is available and they are often only meant to be a temporary solution. So if you do decide to take advantage of these services you should also try and find a way to become self-sufficient for when the programs run out.


Please follow and like us:

Related Post

One thought on “Assistance for Single Mothers in Maryland”

  1. Hi my name is kadedra and i have 5 kids. I’m moving to maryland because i got a job at the near by college. I’m in need of a place to stay with my kids. My husband is getting out of jail in the next few weeks. Im the one that put him in there because he tried to kill me. So im leaving before he comes after me. Can u or anyone you know that can help me and my kids out. Please call me or email. 484 201-4912

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *